Sleep Disorders and Treatment Possibilities in Austria
However, poor or insufficient sleep sooner or later leads to impairments in health, quality of life and performance. The list of possible health consequences is long and includes, for example, an increased risk of cardiovascular and metabolic diseases and a weakened immune system. But concentration and attention deficits as well as psychological problems up to depression can also be causally related to sleep disorders.
After a precise clarification of the causes, however, a rather simple solution for an individual sleep problem can be found in many cases. For this purpose, the Döbling Private Hospital runs its own sleep laboratory, which can also be used on the move.
Sleep laboratory at the Döbling Private Hospital
Do you suffer from insomnia? You are not alone - according to research, around 30% of the population in the western world are affected. In the sleep laboratory at Döbling Private Hospital, we get to the bottom of the causes of your sleep problems and find individual solutions for your sleep problem.
Our advantage: Since the cause of sleep disorders is particularly often in the ear, nose and throat area, our sleep laboratory is run by the ENT specialist and renowned sleep doctor, Prim. Prof. Dr. Tilman Keck. This enables diagnostics and therapy from a single source.
Why is a clarification in the sleep laboratory useful?
Sleep disorders are perceived differently by those affected. If you have been struggling with the following complaints for a long time, you should have them clarified in a sleep laboratory:
- Exhaustion and waking up exhausted
- Constant tiredness
- No or bad sleep despite tiredness
- Falling asleep during the day, daytime sleepiness
- Problems falling asleep and staying asleep
- Feeling that you haven't had enough sleep
- Snoring with breathing pauses
- Restless movements of the legs.
Poor sleep leads to impairments in quality of life and performance for all those affected. This can result in various health problems, such as difficulty concentrating and paying attention, an increased risk of cardiovascular and metabolic diseases (high blood pressure, diabetes) as well as psychological problems and depression.
Procedure of the examination in the sleep laboratory
- Indication: First consultation with Prim. Prof. Dr. Tilman Keck. Please make an appointment for this: +43 1 360 66-7773
- Analysis in the sleep laboratory. The examination (inpatient stay) takes place in a single room at Döbling Private Hospital, where you will spend the night. The measurement of the respiratory and circulatory parameters as well as the analysis of the sleep stages is carried out with a modern polysomnography system (SOMNO medics). With polysomnography, various bodily functions such as brain waves, breathing, heartbeat and muscle movements are recorded simultaneously. By evaluating these parameters, sleep depth and composition (REM sleep and deep sleep components, sleep architecture) can be determined.
- Discussion of findings & therapy: After the measurement has been completed, the results are evaluated by computer and a written report is created. The individual therapy can be initiated directly by Prim. Prof. Dr. Keck.
Clarification of complaints
The Döbling Private Hospital has a modern, well-equipped sleep laboratory for the thorough clarification and comprehensive treatment of sleep disorders.
The cause of following complaints can be identified:
- Persistent daytime tiredness, restriction of daytime well-being
- Obstructive sleep apnea (snoring with breathing pauses observed by partner)
- Nocturnal asthma, bronchial and chronic bronchitis
- Hypertension with simultaneous snoring
- Nocturnal heart problems and arrhythmias in snorers
- Restless Legs Syndrome (restless legs)
Diagnostics & therapy - everything from a single source
Causes of sleep disorders are often due to diseases of the ENT apparatus, such as complaints of the upper respiratory tract, the head and neck area or narrowing of the airways.
In the Döbling Private Hospital, Prim. Prof. Dr. Tilman Keck, specialist in ENT and experienced specialist in sleep medicine, takes care not only of diagnostics but also of the treatment of sleep problems.
The following options are available for treating insomnia:
- Medical therapy
- Body position recommendations
- CPAP masks to improve breathing
- Soft palate braces
- Surgical treatment
If you have questions or you would like to get an appointment, please contact us!
Send a request
Do you have any questions?