Immune System and Nausea during Pregnancy
Due to the major changes in the body during pregnancy, the immune system can be weakened. Dietician Elisabeth Breuer advises mothers-to-be to refrain from some foods in order to avoid infections due to food choices.
- Raw or incompletely cooked meat products such as carpaccio, beef tartare, salami, raw ham, bacon, smoked meat
- Raw or undercooked fish products such as sushi, smoked salmon
- Raw milk and raw milk products, soft cheese
- Raw or undercooked eggs, as in tiramisu
- Unheated / raw sprouts and seedlings
- Unheated frozen berries
- Tuna, swordfish, halibut, pike, shark, butterfish and king mackerel as these fish may be contaminated with mercury.
Wash vegetables, salads and fruit thoroughly before use and consumption.
With the right eating habits, you can reduce common discomforts during pregnancy:
- Nausea and vomiting: Eat several small meals throughout the day. Eat a little something in bed in the morning.
- Indigestion: Eat several small meals throughout the day, chew well and keep moving.
- Heartburn: Eat several meals a day, chew well and avoid spicy, fatty foods. After eating, make sure you lie down with your upper body upright.
The dietitians at the Goldenes Kreuz Private Hospital also offer outpatient nutritional advice for pregnant women: Nutritional counseling - Goldenes Kreuz Private Hospital, Vienna (privatklinik-goldenes-kreuz.at)
Please contact us for further information or appointments!
Send a request
Do you have any questions?